5 Easy Ways to Get More Calcium—Without Taking a Supplement
[Via – Consumer Reports]
Photo from stock.xchng
Dietary supplements are a great way to boost your calcium intake, but you’re better off getting the bone-building nutrient from your diet. Here’s how:
- Eat your veggies. Certain leafy greens, like bok choy, kale, spinach, and collard greens, are high in calcium.
- Watch the soda. Studies have shown the phosphorus in soft drinks may interfere with calcium absorption.
- Skip the salt. A diet high in sodium can increase the loss of calcium, so cut back on your salt intake.
- Opt for skim. Skim milk has about as much calcium as whole milk, roughly 300 milligrams per 8-ounce glass, but fewer calories.
- Get juicing. An 8-ounce glass of calcium-fortified orange juice has nearly as much calcium as milk, great if you’re lactose intolerant.