Prof Mohan with Dr. Jandhyala on Heart Diseases (Podcast)
This is the podcast of Prof Mohan’s conversation with Dr. Ravi Jandhyala on Heart diseases and their prevalence among ethnic Indians. The audio quality here must be far better than the quality you heard on live broadcast.
Date of broadcast: 2012-07-13
Audio Language: English
The following are tips Dr. Jandhyla would like to share with you on maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle.
The extra fat we carry is just not worth it. You will be in a better place for living healthy and it is actually enjoyable.
You have to understand and buy in to it. You will then enjoy the process.
Few simple things:
- The diet should have around 45% carbohydrates/sugars ( Low glycemic index and complex carbohydrates), 30% fats ( mostly unsaturated fats ) and around 20 to to 25% protein.
- While trying to shed extra fat, keep your total calories as close to 1500 as possible and move as much as possible. This process has to be enjoyable or it would not last.
- Enjoy your food. Take small bites and chew for 9 seconds. Take time to eat.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat frequently.
- Oats like steel cut oats from Trader Joe’s with almond will be great for break fast.
- Do not go more than 3 to 4 hours without eating and drinking. Have an apple between BF and Lunch and Lunch and Dinner or some nuts like almonds or walnuts.
- Cut down on simple carbohydrates like white rice, white bread, white pasta.
- Avoid Saturated fats, trans fats, salt.
- Enjoy your food and eat less.
- Incorporate whole grains, fruits and nuts like almonds, walnuts and fresh veggies. Foods closer to their natural state. Half the plate should be veggies and fruit.
- Eat more steamed or boiled food with less oil.
- Eat chicken and fish- white meat avoid foods with a lot of gravy.
- Exercise like walking at least 30 Min’s a day is a must.
- Cut down starchy foods, processed foods like chips which have a lot of salt and oil.
- Avoid baked foods like cookies, cakes, pastries, desserts. They are are like bombs packed with calories saturated and trans fats.
- Keep moving.You have an opportunity to make your family and friends healthier by being an inspiration.Knowledge is power. I will share what ever I learn. I am not an expert just an interested observer.Take care it is worth it.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:05:45 — 30.1MB) | Embed